Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Blogs for Education


This is my first blog posting. Blogs can be used educationally - here I am using it for my current class, month 5 folks! It's gone so fast. I was reading my most recent textbook - Web 2.0 for Schools by Julia Davies and Guy Merchant today and they presented some really fantastic ideas for using blogs in a classroom. It made me want to run to my classroom right now and get started. I can totally envision the use of blogs in my classes - probably just my freshman class though. There are only 6 of them, totally more manageable than if I tried to get all of the students to create blogs.
According to one site that I saw, titled Blogging Across the Curriculum, blogging has become huge. Many scholars are studying it and students are using it to communicate ideas. Pretty cool considering that 10 years ago computers weren't that widespread in schools. It's almost like we've come out of the dark ages as far as technological devices are concerned. An online newspaper, The Brown and White, had an article stating that the College of Education has opened a free forum blog for all of its instructors, students and alumni. This is so neat. When I was in college the first time, bloggers were not people you knew. It has gone so mainstream. I get teased by my family for how much I use technology now, all I tell them is "Aren't you glad you know someone who can help when you have computer problems?"
I'm still cruising the internet. Did you know that Wikispaces has given away 100,000 free wikis. I didn't. We all learn something new every day. Guess that's my something new.

1 comment:

  1. "It made me want to run to my classroom right now and get started." This kind of enthusiasm makes a great teacher! If you actually implement blogs in your classroom, I would love to hear about the results! Great post.

    ReplyDelete